A serious man sits in front of a microphone on a dais.

Enlarge / Iranian President Hassan Rouhani’s phone calls were apparently intercepted in what Iran claims was one of a number of recent cyber attacks by Israel. (credit: Anadolu Agency / Getty Images)

Last week, Iran’s chief of civil defense claimed that the Iranian government had fought off Israeli attempts to infect computer systems with what he described as a new version of Stuxnet—the malware reportedly developed jointly by the US and Israel that targeted Iran’s uranium-enrichment program. Gholamreza Jalali, chief of the National Passive Defense Organization (NPDO), told Iran’s IRNA news service, “Recently, we discovered a new generation of Stuxnet which consisted of several parts… and was trying to enter our systems.”

On November 5, Iran Telecommunications Minister Mohammad-Javad Azari Jahromi accused Israel of being behind the attack, and he said that the malware was intended to “harm the country’s communication infrastructures.” Jahromi praised “technical teams” for shutting down the attack, saying that the attackers “returned empty-handed.” A report from Iran’s Tasnim news agency quoted Deputy Telecommunications Minister Hamid Fattahi as stating that more details of the cyber attacks would be made public soon.

Jahromi said that Iran would sue Israel over the attack through the International Court of Justice. The Iranian government has also said it would sue the US in the ICJ over the reinstatement of sanctions. Israel has remained silent regarding the accusations.

Read 2 remaining paragraphs | Comments

index?i=09KGyokrtSE:OhEVCQQiDxI:V_sGLiPB index?i=09KGyokrtSE:OhEVCQQiDxI:F7zBnMyn index?d=qj6IDK7rITs index?d=yIl2AUoC8zA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *